Happy New Years!!!! I don’t know what New Year traditions you have to bring you luck for the New Year but mine is to eat black-eyed peas. Usually I hate eating them, pretty much have to force myself eat them. In this recipe I am using canned black-eyed peas because making them from scratch is a headache in itself, so this year I found they made the canned versions and tried them. I am so glad I did, they are a great addition and will now be a stable in my pantry.
What you need:
- 5 Canned Black-Eyed Peas, drained and washed
- 2 Canned “no salt” diced tomatoes
- 1 large onion (diced)
- 2 (16-oz.) package smoked sausage, diced
- 1 Unsalted Beef Broth, 32 Oz
- Red pepper flakes
- Salt (don’t add until you are ready to serve)
- 2 cups of white or brown rice
- Open canned black-eyed peas then drain them in a fine strainer, wash all the juice off and place in slow cooker.
- Add canned diced tomatoes, diced onions, diced smoked sausages, beef broth and spices in slow cooker. DO NOT ADD THE SALT YET! If you salt it now it will end up being way too salty.
- Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8 hours.
- Make rice, 4 cups of water per 2 cup of rice.
- Add salt to taste to the black-eyed peas.
- Serve with rice.
I hope you enjoy this recipe as much as we did AND yes it was kid approved. What New Year’s traditions do you have?